Tiki torches burn brightest in summer but, with shorter days on the way, we can still hold on to those warm memories.
This spice-forward version of a tiki cocktail reverses the normal tiki equation (where sweet outshines spice by at least half). Honey adds more depth than refined sugar, and the passion-grapefruit-lime combo is a little less syrupy than you might have become accustomed to with tiki.
This cocktail drops on Red Cow's new fall menu on Wednesday, at all three of their locations.
- 1 oz Flor de Cana Extra Seco 4 white rum
- ½ oz Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum (Navy strength)
- ½ oz Goslings Black Seal Rum
- ½ oz St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram
- ½ oz passion fruit syrup *
- ½ oz honey simple syrup **
- ¾ oz fresh lime juice
- ¾ oz fresh grapefruit juice
* To make passion fruit syrup: whisk 2 parts simple syrup to 3 parts passion fruit puree to combine
** To make honey syrup: combine 2 parts clover honey to 1 part water, and a pinch of kosher salt, over heat until salt is incorporated.
Combine all ingredients in a shaker tin over ice; shake, and pour ice & all into a tiki mug or highball glass. Serve with a straw.
Red Cow has three locations in the Twin Cities -- North Loop Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Edina. A full cocktail menu is available at all three locations.
(612) 767-4411 (Edina Location)