Mike Augustyniak is a dynamic, engaging, relatable nerd. What, in high school, was once a liability (resulting in a head-first trip into a garbage can, among other indignities) now pays his mortgage.
His career began at the age of 15, working at an Albany, NY radio station before moving to WRGB-TV in 2000, and WCCO-TV in 2008. As Director of Meteorology there, Mike’s forecasts have appeared on CBSN, CBS This Morning, the CBS Evening News, and the Ellen DeGeneres Show, and have led to multiple Emmy Awards for his work on CBS Minnesota.
Mike is the creator of CBS’s nationwide Weather Watcher Network; Mike’s Mix cocktail segment -- the only weekly TV spirits coverage in the country; is the co-host and co-executive producer of WCCO Saturday Morning; and is the host and creator of Mike's Remix, a podcast remixing the life stories you thought you knew.
His involvement in community and charitable events spans his wide range of passions; from local groups like The Animal Humane Society, and the Ivey Awards, to PACER's national anti-bullying campaign, GiveOUT Day's national LGBTQ initiatives, and the American Meteorological Society's Board for Private Sector Meteorology. He helps train future meteorologists as the broadcast meteorology professor in St. Cloud State University's Department of Atmospheric and Hydrologic Sciences.
- Helped make WCCO Saturday Morning the MOST WATCHED newscast in the Twin Cities (8-9a HH, A25-54, Nov '14 NSI)
- Helped make WCCO This Morning the MOST WATCHED morning newscast in the Twin Cities (HH, A25-54, Jan '14, Apr '14, May '14 NSI)
- Awarded 3 Emmy Awards for Best Daytime Newscast, as part of WCCO This Morning
- Awarded an Emmy Award for Best Meteorologist
- Created the national Weather Watcher Network, connecting thousands of viewers with CBS-owned TV stations across the country, which became the one of the driving forces behind CBS's brand
- Numerous other awards are detailed here
- Chair of the AMS Board for Private Sector Meteorologists