Punch Bowl Social is mostly fun & games, but their cocktail program is serious business; this recipe is a unique one, and it's 100% Minnesota made.
Orchard & Oak uses of Roknar Rye whiskey from Far North Spirits. It's distilled in Hallock, MN on founder Mike Swanson's family farm from Minnesota-grown rye, and aged in oak barrels from The Barrel Mill in Avon, MN.
Hard apple cider from Northeast Minneapolis's Sociable Cider Werks combines with a simple syrup made from pear puree to lighten and brighten the whiskey. The cider, which is brewed with Champagne yeast and flavored with Willamette hops, stands up well to the one-year-old rye.
The fresh sage garnish is a herbaceous punch in the nose, making this cocktail perfect for spring (or dreaming of spring).
- 1 oz Far North Spirits Roknar Rye Whiskey
- 1 oz house-made pear syrup *
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- 3-4 dashes Angostura bitters
- 4 oz Freewheeler Dry Apple cider from Sociable Cider Werks
- Shredded sage leaves, for garnish
* To make pear syrup: cut up any amount of pears. Put in pot and just cover with water. Boil for until mushy (up to 1 hr). Take off and mash with a potato masher. Put into cheesecloth and strain over a large pot. To strained juice add just over 2/3 cup sugar for each cup of juice. Boil solution until sugar is dissolved. Cool and use, or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Add lime juice, pear syrup, Angostura bitters, and Far North Spirits Roknar Rye whiskey to a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a mason jar. Add 4 ounces of Sociable Cider Werks cider. Top with ice. Garnish with shredded sage leaves.
Punch Bowl Social combines from-scratch cooking with craft beverages (including cocktails and adult milkshakes) in a fun, old-school gaming hall.