If you're like me, you probably think of cucumber, ginger, and apricot as better matches for gin or vodka, than for whiskey.
Beam Suntory's Hibiki Harmony blended whisky (inspired by Japan's subtle 24 seasons) contains notes of rose, lychee, rosemary, and citrus, making it a perfect match for the flavors above.
This combination is what makes the Spoon and Stable Highball such a pleasure as a long-drinking, summer sparkler that is refreshing even on the hottest of days.
- 2 oz Hibiki Harmony whisky
- ¼ oz saffron honey syrup *
- ¼ oz Rothman and Winter Apricot Liqueur
- ¾ tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp of salt to the glass
- Raw ginger root
- Fresh cucumber
* To make saffron honey syrup, combine ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup water, and 5-7 saffron threads in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until combined. Chill and use.
This recipe is built directly in a Highball or Collins glass. Add 1 slice of raw ginger, and cucumber, and muddle both gently. Fill the glass ¾ full with ice, add liquid ingredients, and top with soda water. Stir gently to combine, and spritz top of cocktail with atomized apricot liqueur.